Director, Business Development Technology
Orrick currently has an excellent opportunity for a Director, Business Development Technology to be located in the Wheeling, New York, San Francisco, or Silicon Valley office.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the firm’s CTO, this position provides firm-wide management, applied technology consulting services, and technical support for Orrick's suite of business development systems. He/she works closely with the leaders of the firm’s Marketing, Sales, and Communications functions, and is responsible for creating, maintaining, and implementing the related technology strategy and supporting roadmap. This position plays a key role in ensuring that the firm’s business development technology capabilities are maximized, forward thinking, effective, and efficient. Additional responsibilities include developing technical concepts, building internal consensus and enthusiasm within appropriate business units and practice groups, monitoring legal IT industry information for new innovations, and providing project management support for related, strategic initiatives. The Director of Business Development Technology also manages the activities of the Business Development Technology team which is responsible for the planning, development, implementation and ongoing support of the firm’s business development technologies and related content maintenance.
The ideal candidate for this position should be a skilled technology leader and manager, experienced in many facets of business development strategy and technology, and passionate about the evolving technology landscape, and its potential to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the firm’s business development processes and programs. They must be able to perform business analysis, identify, justify, and select new and replacement systems, and design efficient processes and data workflows.
Relevant business development platforms include the firm’s web sites, CRM, sales opportunity and pipeline reporting, broadcast e-mail system, blogs, Social Media, web and social analytics, and other business development technology tools as identified.
• Establishes and owns the Business Development Technology Strategy and Roadmap in close consultation with the leaders of Marketing, Sales, and Communications. Provides periodic updates on the status of the Roadmap to these leaders, as well as IT and firm management.
• Oversees the Business Development Technology team in the development and implementation of technical solutions and in the creation, publication, and on-going refinement of related digital content.
• Provides business/systems analysis and strategic and tactical advice for the development and deployment of Business Development technologies in support of firm strategy.
• Develops business cases, requirements and budgets, tracks project costs and benefits, and establishes implementation plans.
• Ensures consistent, high quality, and timely work product and well integrated implementations that meet project goals.
• Works closely with the IT training organization to insure training on both new and legacy systems is effective and meets the goals of the user base.
• Identifies opportunities to improve user adoption and the effectiveness of those using business development technologies, and works closely with the relevant business development system owners to develop internal communications, presentations, and marketing campaigns to promote technology capabilities and expand user adoption.
• Conducts periodic audits of the Firm's Business Development systems, identifying new enhancements, solutions and products (including through the research and competitive intelligence of the legal industry).
• Provides guidance/consultation on applied Business Development technology and process improvement for Orrick's Marketing, Sales, and Communications teams, as well as firm’s practice groups.
• Interacts and collaborates extensively with other relevant departments in order to ensure proper integration of the Business Development systems with other Firm's systems/data sources as well as to leverage relevant expertise and cross-disciplinary technologies.
• Works closely with the PMO Manager to ensure that Business Development technology initiatives are prioritized and resourced appropriately in the context of the overall technology portfolio.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience is required. Degree or significant coursework/training in marketing, communications, business administration, information systems/technology or a closely related field would be strongly favored.
• 6-8 years professional and progressive experience in marketing and/or business development technology in a professional services organization, including at least 5 years management experience.
• Demonstrated experience in the development and successful implementation of a business development-focused technology strategy and roadmap.
• Demonstrated experience and effectiveness in interacting with and influencing executive leadership within a professional services firm or business development capacity.
• Demonstrated success in leading/organizing direct reports and cross-functional project teams, allocating resources effectively, and coaching and mentoring team members.
• Knowledge of and experience with technologies and processes that facilitate and support information management, marketing, business development, client relationship management and communications required.
• Thorough knowledge of and practical experience with websites, CRM systems, marketing databases, database structure and database management, and broadcast e-mail systems required.
• Excellent communications skills, including agility in preparing or contributing to technical/project documentation, business cases, progress reports and presentations. Must be able to develop and deliver effective presentations to functional department heads, business unit leaders, and firm partners and executive leadership.
• Demonstrated experience in business analysis, process improvement, project management, technology promotion and technology management required.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), Visio, and Project Management tools.
• Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills required.
• Exceptionally strong customer service, interpersonal, audience-analysis, consulting and training skills, and adeptness at working with clients and colleagues with varying backgrounds and technical proficiencies at all levels of the organization.
• Strategic thinking and problem solving skills as well as exceptional attentiveness to detail required.
• Outstanding project and program management skills; Strong experience in planning and managing large scale and critical IT projects.
• Strong sense of accountability and proven ability to take ownership of projects and responsibilities.
• Must be willing to work occasionally during irregular evening and weekend hours when required for time-sensitive, project-specific activities and/or during urgent situations.
• Ability to travel occasionally in order to fulfill job responsibilities or as needed on projects.
Orrick is a leading global law firm with a particular focus on serving companies in the technology, energy and financial sectors. We are recognized worldwide for delivering the highest-quality, commercially-oriented legal advice and for our cul